I am a digital artist, designer, researcher and educator, lecturing in 3D Modelling, VFX and VR at the Institute of Art, Design and Technology, Dun Laoghaire, in the Dept. of Art & Design and at masters level on both the Cyberpsychology and ARC programmes. I also work as a real-time graphics specialist at Noho, a post-production house in central Dublin specialising in museum exhibition design and cultural heritage work. My practice is focused on virtual and augmented reality technologies, videogames and real-time visualisation. My research is focused on the political economy of massively multiplayer online videogames and the philosophy, politics and modalities of perception in digital cultures. I graduated from NCAD with an MA in Virtual Realities, Fine Art Media and BA in Printmaking & History of Art.
Selected Publications, Conferences & Presentations
- Schreibman, S., Buckley, J., Hughes, B., Papadopoulos, C. The Computer Graphic Simulation of the Battle at Mount Street Bridge. Problems, Perspectives, and Challenges; Digital Humanities 2016, Kraków, 2016. http://dh2016.adho.org/abstracts/103
- IADT + 1916 – Virtual Worlds Collide: Carriglea Park, 1916. IADT March 1916
- The Battle of Mount Street Bridge: 3D Modelling & Artificial Intelligence – Problems and Perspectives, Virtual Heritage Network: Ireland Conference, An Foras Feasa, Maynooth University, 2015.
- Kirwan, G. and Buckley, J. Context reinstatement using virtual reality as an aid to eyewitness memory. Psychological Society of Ireland Annual Conference. Cork, Ireland Nov 2012
- Economics of Play; Re-imagining Computer Games, Graduate School of Arts and Celtic Studies, UCD 2010.
- Gaming, Networks, Democracy. Network Cultures Symposium, Gradcam 2010.
- Is There Space to Play? A paper investigating the increasing prevalence of economics discourse in massively multiplayer online games. International Symposium of Electronic Arts (ISEA) 2009, Belfast 2009.
- Space is the Place NCAD Gallery 2009
- The Kingdom, 2008 Online
- Courage to Refuse, Cork Caucus, National Sculpture Factory, Cork. With Shane Cullen and David Crawforth 2005
- Courage to Refuse, Lodz Biennale, Poland. With Shane Cullen and David Crawforth 2004
- (in)Security, Exhibit 4: PLAY, The Digital Hub, Dublin. 2003